Wednesday, May 1, 2013

V-I-C-T-O-R-Y


All too often lately I’m left of a feeling of “I’m so done” and the day is not nearly over.  I feel like I have given all that I have to give and am ready to retreat to my bedroom with the door locked, curtains drawn, and blanket over my head. 

So when a day comes where things fall into place and everyone is cheery, light-hearted, and behaving I want to dance and shout it from the rooftops.  Yesterday was just that day for me.  The heavens opened and light poured over my family and the angels sang.

The day before, however, was brutal.  We had discussion after discussion with our 9 year old son about looking at the bright side of things.  He has a HUGE tendency to focus on the negatives.  He is a child that can look at a rainbow and point out that the colors are off just so.  Deciding enough was enough, my husband and I sat down and had a serious talk about how having a positive attitude can make life so much more enjoyable.  To which he replied that there weren’t any positives in anything he did.  We talked and talked, gave example after example, until we threw our hands up in the air, and said “Fine, if you insist on being miserable go be miserable in your room so we don’t have to be a part of it.” 

I felt like a failure right then with no idea what else to do… I prayed. 

The next day I pass my son’s class in the hall (this is usually the point where I quickly duck into a room and hide until they pass) and his teacher informs me that he has been a model student all day.  He looks at me and smiles and says not only is he having a great day but that he is looking forward  to playing baseball tonight(which up until this point has consisted of our dragging him kicking and screaming).  He gets home from school still in a great mood talking about all of the positive things he’s focused on today and how it has just been the best day ever.  We go to baseball where he scores twice, gets a sweet hit, and stands in his “down and ready” position outfield instead of dancing around tossing his hat in the air.  His team wins their first game this season and there are 11 boys cheering and jumping with joy. 

I get home, curl up on the couch with a fever of 101 and think.. Thank you Jesus, this was the perfect day!

No comments:

Post a Comment